Tuesday, July 7, 2015

In the summertime when the weather is hot

We love summertime around here, especially after the nasty winter we had. I don't care that I sweat like a pig all day, as long as I'm outside playing in the water with the kiddos. Part of this Project Simplify is learning to be content. We don't always have to be running around doing this and that just to say we did it. We are content staying at home playing in our beautiful yard with what we have at home. And one of those things is a blow up pool we got for $15 at Wal-Mart. What a good investment we made. It has kept us entertained many a day....and will continue until the weather boots us.



 
Avery is such a little fish and spends countless hours in the pool. When we came back out this afternoon she had changed into clothes but went swimming anyway. Colty usually just likes to dip his feet.
 
A couple months ago I took Avery to see her first movie in the theatre, Home. We have a very small, very old, theatre in Fayetteville. They only show two movies and everything is really cheap. Luckily we were the only ones it the theatre because Avery talked and played the entire time. Last night I was brave and took her to see Inside Out. I absolutely recommend it, by the way.
 
 
The theatre was a bit more crowded. Avery still talked and stood up for most of the movie. But we got a small popcorn and a medium drink for $6. Score. I told Daniel he's on movie duty from now on. Those 3D movies do a number on my vertigo.
 
A farmer pays my father in law to let him use his land for his crops. Last year he did peas (yuck) but this year he did corn, and we are waiting patiently to pick some.
 
I'd hate to get lost in there.
 
Colty learned how to climb the rock wall of the playhouse yesterday. I can't believe how big he's getting! He still won't really go down the slide, though.
 
Now that I've lured you in with cute pics of the kids, I'll bore you with garden stuff now. This was our first real garden and we are calling it our learning year. We planted stuff too close together and way too much of some stuff. Did you know that if you buy a plastic container of tomato plants, there are 6 plants in it? Well, I didn't. So we ended up with 36 tomato plants. We gave a ton to the neighbor and planted about 12. I don't even like tomatoes.
 





We are up to our ears in zucchini, squash, and cucumbers. I don't know what to do with all of it. My mom is coming this week, and we are attempting bread and butter pickles. I'll let you know how that turns out. The corn is looking good as is the okra. The strawberry plants are alive but not producing. Will have to research that for next year. Today I spotted the tiniest little watermelon you've ever seen! I did a little happy dance. We also have cantaloupe.
 

I put two strawberry plants in pots, and they seem to be doing ok. Nothing special though. Those forks are to keep the cute little bunnies away. Props to Pinterest for that tip. We also have peach, apple, and pear trees. I did another happy dance as I picked this pretty peach. I'm going to let it ripen a bit more then see how it tastes.
 
Hopefully I will learn to cook a bit more with all these vegetables. We haven't made the kids try any yet, but we are hopeful for a little healthier fare at the Baccus abode.
 
 
"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.' "
Hebrews 13:5


No comments:

Post a Comment