Sunday, August 9, 2015

I Need a Nap!

I consider myself to be a low-energy kind of person. Yes, I run, but other than that I'm just content to hang around the house and typically don't stay very busy. This weekend has thrown me for a loop! I left Friday morning for Birmingham because my cousin and his wife were having their baby shower on Saturday. The kids stayed in Fayetteville, so apparently I tried to squeeze anything I could into these two child-free days. I didn't get too many pictures, but it was a fun weekend.

On my way in on Friday morning I stopped by my old work, North Shelby Family Health. I love seeing all my sweet friends there, and I usually bring them a treat. This time was no exception. I loaded them down with pickles, tomatoes, and chips. They were so grateful, and I love seeing people excited about my gifts. I wish I had gotten some pictures!

After that I went for a noon run (in August in Birmingham...what was I thinking?!?) then it was off to an eye doctor appointment where I got fussed at and lectured and I told you so(ed) by the eye doctor for not changing out my contacts like I'm supposed to. The highlight of my weekend...

I was meeting some of my girlfriends for dinner so I just stayed in the area and shopped around. I'm glad I moved to a town that has nowhere to shop, because I just spend money if I'm tempted. Christmas Tree Shops is especially dangerous.

I met my dear friends Ashley, Lisa, and Karen for dinner at Baumhower's, and we had so much fun catching up and eating good food. I miss them so much, and I  miss adult conversation! Again, I wish I had gotten pictures!

A while ago I had signed up for a 5k in Homewood for Saturday. Unfortunately, no one else did and it got cancelled. Luckily, though, my old co-worker Melissa told me about another one in Uptown. So after a fun night catching up with friends and eating way too much, I got my booty up at 5:00 Saturday morning to get to Uptown and register for the 5k. Whew, 5am is early! Oh, and Starbucks wasn't open yet....bummer.

Uptown is this relatively new area in Birmingham by the BJCC. They have really cute restaurants and it's just a pretty area. It was a beautiful day, and I had plenty of time before the run to explore a bit. The run was for the Crisis Center in Birmingham. Seems like a really good organization and resource for the city. They did a great job organizing it, and there were amazing snacks and even a beer truck!
 
The starting line from the second floor of the complex. The run had some beautiful teal porta pottys, but I got lucky and found the Uptown bathrooms. I talked to a man before the run who said the course was pretty flat, and I also heard a runner tell her friend there was one hill at the half mile mark, but the end was "stupid" fast. I took note of this.
 

This was a very small race, so I was at the front when it started. I wanted my time to be as close to the official clock as I could, even though the results were posted "stupid" fast. :o) I was running by myself, so this is my version of a selfie. The gun went off, and so did I. It was kind of funny how many people passed me in that first bit. I guess I felt like I had to keep up and ended up running my first mile in 9:28 which is almost a minute faster than my usual time. I was kind of running by myself for most of the race, and I kept looking behind me to make sure I wasn't dead last. The man and the runner before the race were liars. There were four up hills. I don't do hills well, so I ended up walking several times. But I remembered what the runner said about the finish so I ran like Forrest Gump down the hill to the finish line. I was hoping for a sub-30 minutes but I got a PR with 31:40. My previous PR was from my very first 5k five and a half years ago, and I beat it on Saturday by almost 4 minutes!
 
After the race I found my friend who told me about it. So at least I got one picture to document that I was there!
They had this cool thing where you could text your bib number and get your results. I don't know how many girls were in my age group...probably 6. And I don't know what that #23 is. I definitely wasn't 23rd. I'm glad I have a set time I can work toward beating!
 
I rushed home after the race to get ready for the baby shower. My cousin Wade and his wife Terri and having a little boy in a few weeks. We celebrated at my mom's church. The theme was a Rock a Bye Baby tour. They are really into music, especially rock, and Terri's friend made the cutest invitations that were like concert tickets! I made the cupcakes, which were super yummy. I bought a Cricut from a friend, so I got to make cute toppers and a banner!
 

Everything turned out super cute, and we had a fun afternoon celebrating Wade and Terri and baby Adrian.
 
I left to come home after the shower. When I got home Colt had a new trick which Mamaw swears he never did for her.
 
In real life it is ten times louder than that and the most highest pitch you've ever heard. But his fists were the funny part! He did it at least 20 times, and I had a monster headache the rest of the night.
 
I can't remember the last time I was that busy, but it was a super fun weekend. I'm excited to see what the fall brings for us, and to just get into a routine.
 
Coming soon...Avery starts PreK and ballet/tap
 
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."
Colossians 3:23


No comments:

Post a Comment