Tuesday, August 23, 2016

What We've Been Up To

School's been in for a couple weeks, and we are beginning to get into a routine. It breaks my heart everyday to wake up my sleeping babies, but you gotta do it. Avery loves school. She loves her teacher, and, unlike last year, she will tell me what she learned in school that day. Since Fridays are now pizza and movie/game night, I decided to buy the stuff to make pizzas this Friday. The kids had fun making it, but ate none of it. Shocking, right?


So I ate pizza and we played games and watched Rio again. I taught Avery how to play Mancala, which is so fun, and then we played Old Maid. My game attention span with a 5 year old is pretty low, so we ended after those two. Plus, Colt was itching to lose every marble in Mancala.



What a fun night. Since my kids don't eat pizza (sigh), I decided to change our Friday nights to Waffle/Pancake and Bacon Night. We tried it out Saturday, and it turned out much better! Avery can put back some bacon!!

I just realized I got ahead of myself. On Thursday Meme came so she could see Avery get off the bus and hang out for a couple days. Colt and I met her in Huntsville Thursday and we went to Costco. Meme bought us some good snacks that should last us several months. Well, maybe not the Rice Krispies Treats...

We went to Ken's for lunch then came home and rested until Avery got home. We had fun playing outside in the crazy heat.


These are the only two vegetables still alive in our garden. Daniel had to level most of the garden with the lawn mower because the weeds had taken over. Thursday night my mom and I made fried green tomatoes and fried okra and some yummy chicken. It was delicious, but I think okra is way too much work! 

And this was Colt after dinner. He wanted to be the queen. We thought he was saying king, and he finally ran in and said, "I'm the queen, I say!" 

I've been in a crafty mood lately. I'm rereading Harry Potter six and seven to get ready for the new book, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I'm a little obsessed with Pinterest these days, and I found some easy crafts that I absolutely love.

I bought white mugs at Wal-Mart for $1.75 and I had all the paint already. Then I just painted some Mod Podge over it, and voila, super cute mugs! I love drinking my coffee out of these everyday.

I found these cute potion bottles on a website that said 29 Harry Potter things to put in your house. The ones on the website were from Etsy, but I went to Hobby Lobby, and luckily all their glassware is on sale this week! This craft was a little more expensive. I had to buy the bottles, sand, and glitter. I found some Harry Potter fonts and used my new trick, wax paper, to trace and rub on some labels. I found some good silver and gold pens, plus the labels, at Dollar Tree. It turned out so cute, and I'm a little obsessed. 


That's Polyjuice Potion, Unicorn Blood, Floo Powder, and Felix Felicis, in case you care.

I've been wanting to make the kids a growth chart for a while now. I finally found a decent piece of wood in the barn, which I now realize is way too tall and heavy. I'm going to have to bolt it to the wall so no one gets knocked out! I used the gray paint from our bedroom and the yellow paint from the kids' bathroom to make this cute chevron pattern. Absolutely free craft...my favorite kind.

I was pretty proud of myself for measuring out the chevrons perfectly the first time. I was going to put a cute saying on it, but didn't want to mess it up with my handwriting. 

Tonight I measured the kids. I don't actually have the inches on there...just a little tick mark at their height and the date. Can't believe Colt is so close to Avery!!




And one more I found on my computer tonight.

These are the absolute best muffins you will ever put in your mouth. When I heard people say zucchini muffin, I thought that sounded disgusting. Stupid me, I thought you tasted the vegetable in a sweet muffin. The key ingredient...cinnamon. I might have to buy zucchini out of season to have these in the fall. And what makes them even more special is the recipe you see behind it. It's Memaw's recipe in her handwriting...priceless. 

Colt's going to be a little tricky to actually sit down and teach. My goal for the next few weeks. Might take the kids to the first home football game at the local high school on Friday. So looking forward to fall weather and everything that comes along with it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment