Tuesday, November 11, 2014

I love my Vet!

Happy Veteran's Day! The past decade has brought many thoughts, prayers, and thanks for those brave men and women who so devotedly serve our country and fight for our freedom as we fight in this horrible war. I heard someone on the Today Show say that we should also be thankful for the families of these men and women who also sacrifice much. I don't know fear and worry until my spouse is in another country on the front lines. Today, I honor and thank each and every active military man and woman, and also the countless men and women who served in the past. And, of course, this includes my incredible husband.

Daniel went straight into the Army after high school. He got to jump out of planes, shoot guns,and run a lot. But he also did something very cool, which embarrassingly, I had never heard of till I met him. My husband guarded the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington Cemetery. This is a very prestigious job. He was the 472nd person to receive the Tomb Guard Badge back in the early 2000s. Since then, less than 200 more have been awarded. It is also a very grueling job. You walk up and down the aisle at a certain pace for a certain amount of time. Day, night, rain, sleet, snow, heat...it doesn't matter. That tomb is always guarded.

I am so proud of Daniel for enlisting in the Army. It really saved his life. I even got a tour of the Tomb and cemetery by my favorite veteran on our honeymoon six years ago. It was amazing to see where he lived and worked for such and important time in his life. I can't wait to share it with our kids one day.


Daniel is on the far right.
 
 
 
So, hug and thank all the veterans you can find today. We civilians have no idea what it takes to do their job everyday.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment