Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Exploring Indy and beyond

We are about halfway through our Midwest journey, and I am in full-on tourist mode. I want to cram as much as I can into these next few weeks. That means we can't go downtown to the candy store everyday...bummer. Saturday I took the kids to Massachusetts Avenue which is this hip, trendy neighborhood in downtown Indy. We walked down to this bookstore called Indy Reads Books, a cute little used bookstore. We bought a ton of $1 kids books. On the way back we saw a free firefighter museum, so we took a little peek. It was pretty neat.


We were showing support for our team on Saturday. Poor Avery was channeling Cindy Brady with her too short dress. Unless she was standing completely still, you could see her bloomers. Oops.


I kept seeing these on the street, and luckily this one was right by the van so I could get a picture. It's called Handlebar Indy, and people sit on those stools and pedal through town while drinking. Does not sound appealing...I'd throw up by the end.

Sunday was a beautiful day, and Daniel was off so we got out. We headed to Butler University. I wanted to see Hinkle Fieldhouse. The last scene of Hoosiers was filmed there. We couldn't get inside, but we walked around a little.

 
 

Then we headed over to the Indianapolis Museum of Art which has this really cool 100-Acre Park. I saw an ad in a magazine that they were having Art in the Park. When we got there, there was this huge sculpture that the kids had fun playing on.


 
 
On our way to the art project we saw tons of these hammocks. Avery had fun on them. Colt was a little spastic on them. I don't do hammocks...they make me sick.
 
 
We finally found the art in this cool glass building in the middle of the woods. They were making megaphones. Daniel was not impressed.
 
 
 
On our way out we saw these big white rocks. We were about to pass them by when Daniel realized what they were. Then we had to stop and play.
 
It's a big skeleton!
 
 
 




We topped our morning off with lunch at the Hard Rock Café then went home to rest and watch some football. Yay Colts!

Today the kids and I went to Bloomington. This is where Indiana University is but more importantly it is the setting of my favorite Karen Kingsbury books. It is a cute little college town with lots to do. We had pizza and ice cream and walked around. I didn't take many pictures, but we had a good time.

 
Pinterest is my new travel buddy, and I found this cute little place on it. Avery wanted M&Ms, so I got her and Colt vanilla with M&Ms and I got Grasshopper ice cream. It was super yummy.
 
 
We've had a fun past few days, and I can't wait to check more things off my Indiana bucket list!

No comments:

Post a Comment