Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Birthday Girl

In December 2010 I was twenty weeks pregnant with our first baby. We anxiously waited to see if we were to have a boy or a girl. My sister had two boys, so I just knew it was a boy, even though I wanted a girl more than I cared to admit. We had the ultrasound technician put the gender in an envelope and gave it to my sister. She made a cake with the gender color in the middle. That was probably the longest day of my life! That night we all gathered for dinner. Then it was the moment I had been waiting for. I cut into the cake...


And couldn't believe my eyes! I immediately started crying and asking if we were really having a girl. Obviously all I wanted was a healthy baby, but a healthy girl? Double score.


I mean, can you get any sweeter?!

Fast forward to April 26, 2016, and our precious Avery is five years old. Where did the time go? We have been so blessed by this girl, and we couldn't imagine what we ever did without her. She has the best laugh ever, and wakes up smiling (on most days). She is funny and smart, asks a million questions, loves to play no matter where we are, has a sweet tooth like her mama, and loves with all her heart. She loves listening to Joey+Rory and makes me melt when she sings "I'll Fly Away" with everything she has. She loves hearing me tell her stories of people from the Bible (although I think the one about Samson was a little much for a four year old). She has brought us so much joy these past five years, and we can't wait to see what the future holds for this girl.

Avery's birthday party was on Saturday, and we had been planning forever. We had a bounce house, and we invited her girlfriends from school plus her other friends and family. We got everything ready Friday night, and at 2am Avery woke up throwing up. We couldn't believe it. She rested and rehydrated Saturday morning, and luckily she quit throwing up. She still felt horrible, and spent most of the party curled up in a chair outside while everyone else had fun playing. She was the most pitiful birthday girl I've ever seen.






Just a few shots I got. I'm horrible about taking pictures. Mamaw came after the party, and I guess Avery started feeling better. I don't know who took that last picture. Her sweet friend from school, Alexa, came and that cheered Avery a little. It was cloudy tornado weather that day, and her candles blew out before we finished singing. The party ended just in time for a few funnel clouds to go through our area. So thankful the weather held out for the party. We are so thankful for everyone who drove out to the boonies to celebrate our sweet Avery.
 


Meme got Avery the best gift. Avery loves listening to CDs in her room, but Meme got her a record player! She brought some good records from her house and we all learned how to use it. The kids are having a blast with it! That middle picture cracks me up. We've got 101 Dalmatians on in the background while they are listening to Wham. Definitely retro in Avery's room these days. We are hoping to find her Joey+Rory favorites on records.
 
Even though our birthday girl was hit with the stomach bug for her party it turned out to be a fun weekend celebrating the light of our life. Happy Birthday, Avery!

No comments:

Post a Comment