Saturday, November 14, 2015

Host of Christmas Past

Every year around this time, my little town puts on a street festival in the town square called Host of Christmas Past. This was our first year, and I felt a little like a resident of Stars Hollow (which has always been a dream of mine) but a little more redneck. There was food, crafts, music, and tons of things for kids to do. Daniel had to work so I ventured out on my own with the two rugrats. Luckily we found a prime parking spot in our church parking lot which was close to the kids area. And of course we started out playing in the snow.


It was a good wait to get into the snow, but it was worth it. They threw tons of snowballs and had a blast. I, meanwhile, was burning up. The day started at 29 degrees, but by the time we got to that crowded black top parking lot around noon, I was pretty hot.
 


I don't think any kid can resist a good bounce house. Luckily there was a 5 minute time limit enforced. My little stinker didn't quite understand that, and the sweet teenager had to chase him through the bounce house to get him out. It was pretty funny.
 


It was time to head to the library for a fun (and free) Polar Express party. We got to eat some yummy Christmas cookies and drink hot chocolate. That same little stinker spilled a whole cup of hot chocolate on the floor. We got to watch a reading of the sweet book. I tear up a little every time I hear the ending of the story. I was a little tired and there were a lot of children so we skipped the craft and walked to the square to see the pretty decorations and run around a little.
 
I was surprised to see Mr. President himself, old Honest Abe. He was doing an interview right where we were standing.
 
 A local symphony was performing some amazing Christmas music. I could have listened to it all day.
 

We had walked past these croquet and checker sets a couple times, and Avery kept begging to play. I paid a silly amount of money for them to play, but they also got their faces painted. Too bad it was the end of the day and oh so close to bath time.
 

Avery chose a cute Rudolph. The girl was really talented.
 


Colt man's face was cracking me up. He looks cute with his Santa.
 
We had such a fun afternoon. I will definitely appreciate an extra set of hands next year! I'm still not sold on moving to a small town in your mid 30s, but this made me happy to live in one...even if it's not Stars Hollow...


No comments:

Post a Comment