Friday, January 6, 2017

And to All a Good Night

I have never been so happy to count down to a new year. I was half asleep, but I counted from ten, kissed Daniel, and rolled over and went back to sleep. 2016 was a rough one, and I'm just making the best of every minute of 2017 to make up for it.

I'm a little overwhelmed with all the pictures I want to put on here, and how far behind I am. I didn't take too many pictures at Christmas (trying to be in the moment and not miss crucial things). But Daniel surprised me with a trip to NYC after Christmas, and everything there stands still, so I got lots of pictures (go ahead and prepare yourself for lots of scrolling on the next post).

As Christmas approached, I knew it would be a tough one. We should have been celebrating our 7 month old's first Christmas, and Memaw's 93rd Christmas (she would have turned 92 in September). But we held on to each other and remembered the little baby in the manger. If it wasn't for that little baby, we wouldn't be able to get through one day of our grief, let alone the whole holiday season. Memaw and Susannah had a front row seat to Jesus's birthday celebration, and we all made it through in one piece.


Shorty's been inside since it's so dang cold outside. The kids love letting her out of her cage and snuggling with her. And Shorty loves the attention.

We did pretty good with school this month. We got into a little routine, and I tried to do more fun Christmas activities than just working out of the workbook.





I can't even tell you how many sugar cookies we baked and decorated this season. I found a recipe on Pinterest that was good, then I found one in a magazine that was AMAZING, and it seemed like we baked all month. They were a little addictive. Also, I'm pretty sure Avery lived in those pjs the entire month.


We went to Meme's a couple weeks before Christmas, and there's a house in Chelsea with lots of lights that are synced to a station on the radio. It was so neat. They let you come in their driveway, and the guy even came out and gave us candy canes. Colt liked his a little too much...


We also went to the Galleria to ride the reindeer carousel. Colt was dead set on riding in the sleigh. I was scared he would get upset because it didn't go up and down, but he loved it!!

On the Thursday before Christmas we celebrated with Daniel's family. It's a free for all with presents, so I didn't have time to get pictures. But you can picture the chaos in your head. No one knows what anyone else gets, and no one knows who anything is from. 

Friday night we went to my dad's house. We played As Seen on TV Dirty Santa, and we got a toilet light (that is totally cool) and Brett Favre razors. I'd say we scored.

Colt is happy to be alive (as usual) :o)

Sisters (with a Colt photo bomb)

Our little elf was exhausted on the way home from Peepaw's.

I think my favorite part of Christmas this year was Christmas Eve. 
We went to the movies and saw Sing together. The kids liked it...Daniel and I were not impressed.


Then we went to the Mexican restaurant for dinner. So happy to spend the day with the family.

We got home and put out milk and cookies for Santa and carrots for the reindeer. Then Daniel read The Night Before Christmas and it was time for bed!

Santa brought bikes!! Colt didn't see anything Peppa from Santa and was not a happy camper. Welcome to three.


Avery got Barbie stuff.

And here is the joy...the Peppa school! All is right with the world.

Pure joy.

In hindsight I feel bad for being bummed that Christmas was on a Sunday...do we go to church? do we have time? is it going to mess up our morning? 
I mean, come on, Claire. How ridiculous am I?! We got to celebrate the reason for Christmas on our day of worship! Why wouldn't we go to church?! What a sweet blessing to be able to celebrate at First Baptist with our family. It was a beautiful service. I loved singing the Christmas songs and hearing the message. Avery even got to go up front to hear a story from the pastor.

She was so sweet trying to sing the songs.

Avery listening to Brother Jon tell a Christmas story. Colt walked about halfway up there (he wanted me to go) before turning around and running back with a sad face. It was pretty funny.



I decided to start a new tradition. I found some holiday crackers at Target and saved them for Christmas lunch. We had fun popping them open, seeing the prizes, and reading the fortunes. Oh, and of course, wearing the crowns! Daniel's bout ripped in half on his head!



After lunch I took Avery and Colt to the school to ride bikes. Avery had so much fun! Colt got a bike too, but you see he wanted to play with Peppa and jump in puddles. And as I'm writing this the feels like temperature is 8 degrees, and I'm really stinking jealous of the Christmas weather we had.

We left that afternoon to celebrate at my mom's house. Apparently I'm only good for taking pictures at our own house. We had so much fun with my family. 

We love all the traditions of Christmas, including Santa, but I really want it to sink in why we really celebrate Christmas. It's become such a commercial holiday, even non Christians celebrate it! But the only reason we celebrate this day on December 25 is Jesus, the baby who came to earth to live as a human (while still being God), suffer on a cross, and die for our sins. Nothing else matters. Not the gifts. Not the food. Not the music. It's all about Him. This is about the 500th time I had asked Colt this this season, and he answered right every time (and maybe one day we'll have snow at Christmas). 

"Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you. He is Christ the Lord."
Luke 2:10-11

There are three things I love about this verse. The angels tell the shepherds not to be afraid. Jesus tells us that too in John 16...what do we have to be afraid of? Jesus overcame the world! The angel also brings good news of great joy...joy beats happiness every time, and my only joy comes from that baby. And most importantly, that joy is for ALL the people. Everybody. And it baffles me why so many refuse to accept that joy. It makes me joyful to have that joy! And I pray that joy on so many people. 

Christmas was fun, but I'm ready for this new year...bring it on, 2017!!




No comments:

Post a Comment