Saturday, June 11, 2016

Simply Extraordinary...Part 2

Two Septembers ago I blogged about my grandmother's 90th birthday party. I had so much fun writing about that special time. She had been doing well in assisted living, but in January she got really sick and had to have surgery. She was such a fighter and came out of a really difficult sickness and went back to Ridgeview for rehab. Even though she was very weak and had trouble even sitting up she was still herself, making sure everyone had what they needed and thinking about everyone but herself.
On the afternoon of May 30, 2016 my sweet Memaw went to be with Jesus. In my heart I just think she was ready. My mom called and told me the news. I had the reaction of shock and utter sadness. Memaw can't be gone. She was supposed to outlive us all. As the afternoon wore on, and I thought about her more and more, my heart was filled with peace and a kind of joy. That lady who lay in that bed helpless and tired was not the Memaw I know. My Memaw was vivacious, always on the go, helping out everywhere she possibly could. My Memaw went shopping and out to eat and stood in that kitchen for hours on end cooking the most delicious meals you can imagine. So though I was sad and just wanted to be with her again, I was so happy for her. She was finally new and whole. I pictured her running to her beloved Harry. I pictured her with Jesus. But what really made me smile was this picture I had (and still have) in my head of Memaw and Grandaddy holding our sweet Susannah. There is such a comfort knowing that Susannah will be in good company until I can be with her.

Daniel and I headed to Memaw's hometown, Greenville, Mississippi, the day before her funeral. I love Greenville. I don't care how run down it is, I still love it. I have so many good memories in that town. We lived five hours from there when I was growing up, but my mom did such a good job of taking us to visit our grandparents often. It was always a fun time when we got to go to Memaw and Grandaddy's. I feel so blessed to have so many memories with them.

So many sweet family and friends came to celebrate Memaw's life. Every single one of them said how much they loved Memaw. And I know that each one meant it with his whole heart. We got to visit with family we don't often see. Memaw's only living sibling, Alice, was able to come from Memphis, and it was like looking at Memaw.

Although the preacher was a different one from when Memaw attended First Presbyterian, they had corresponded through letters a few times. My mom had written the nicest things about my grandmother (not that there was a single bad thing you could say about her). Proverbs 31 was quoted. My grandmother was the epitome of a Proverbs 31 woman. It was perfect.

We said our goodbyes at the cemetery where she was laid beside her sweet husband. They have both been waiting patiently for 19 years to see each other again. Now they can spend eternity catching up and rekindling their sweet, perfect, unconditional love for one another.

Memaw was an ever-present fixture in our family, the matriarch, the model we should all strive to follow. We will miss her every day, but we can rest assured that we will see her again one day, perfect and whole.

I couldn't post about Memaw without sharing some pictures I found.

This one cracks me up for two reasons. First, that's not me, that's Colt with brown hair! And second, I don't remember Memaw with big, brown hair! Her hair will always be white to me. I think this was when we lived in Natchez.
 
The sweetest people you will ever meet.
 
This was my sister's high school graduation in 1995.
 
This was in 2004 after Jack was born. She doesn't even look like a great-grandmother!
 
This was at my wedding in June 2008. She had broken her hip the first time earlier that year. She walked down the aisle perfectly. This is also the dress she is buried in.
 
This is exactly 3 years later. She had a stroke a little over a year earlier and was living at home in Greenville with a caregiver. My mom was about to go with me to Avery's very first doctor's appointment when she got the call that Memaw fell. That's when she moved to Birmingham for good. She lived with the effects of her stroke for over 6 years, and she was so strong and brave and never wanted to be (or was) a burden on anyone. A trooper if I ever saw one.
 
The pallbearers...it meant the world to my mom to have the men closest to Memaw be by her side. That's Billy, Daniel, Jack, ER, Harry, and Wade.
 
Her obituary in the Delta Democrat Times. Like my mom said, it's really weird to see her name in this section. She can't be gone.
 
A week after her funeral my mom and aunt planned an activity at Memaw's assisted living to honor and celebrate her life. They wanted to do something Memaw loved instead of having a memorial service. Jack read the words the preacher spoke about Memaw, and the ladies just loved us being their and told us how much they loved Memaw.
 
I love Memaw, and I will miss her everyday, but I have hope. I have hope in something real and everlasting. Not everyone can say that, even though that hope is open to everyone. If I learned anything from Memaw it's that the greatest thing in this world is love. I hope I can love like Memaw did and leave that much love on the earth when my time comes.
 
I can't wait to meet you on the other side, Memaw.


No comments:

Post a Comment